Congress leaders visited Lalu Prasad to express their solidarity on Saturday, a day after the ten-hour-long CBI raid at 10 Circular Road, where the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief lives with his wife and two Minister sons. The Congress party is RJD’s alliance partner.But RJD’s bigger partner, the Janata Dal-United (JD-U), maintained its distance, with party chief and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar continuing to remain at Rajgir in Nalanda district, for rest. Party sources said the CM visited Ghorakatora to enjoy its natural beauty. After seeing off presidential nominee Meira Kumar, whose three-day Bihar visit ended on Sunday, State Congress chief and Education Minister Ashok Choudhary, accompanied by legislature party leader Sadanand Singh and ministerial colleagues Awadhesh Kumar Singh and Madan Mohan Jha, visited Mr. Lalu Prasad at his residence. Mr. Choudhary slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the CBI raid at Mr. Prasad’s residence and other places, saying, “Since they [the BJP] have failed to defeat us [the Grand Alliance] through the people’s mandate, they are now misusing the government machinery to target us.” He also alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah were behind the CBI raid to browbeat their opponents like Lalu Prasad.The state BJP leaders have been continuously appealing to Mr Kumar to break his silence and take action against Mr. Prasad’s sons. “He always has been talking of zero tolerance of his government on the issue of corruption and, earlier, has sacked some of his ministerial colleagues like Jitan Ram Manjhi on the corruption issue…we’re hoping that Mr Kumar will not compromise with corruption this time,” said state BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi.
The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) completely decimated the four-party grand alliance in the general election, establishing its dominance again in mineral-rich Jharkhand on Thursday. Showing its utter superiority in the electoral battle, the NDA was all set to romp home to a 12–2 victory. By 10 p.m., the BJP’s poll percentage was estimated at a staggering high of 50.80%. The Congress came a distant second with 15.60%. In 2014, the BJP had won 12 of the 14 seats. This election, it had left the Giridih seat to the All Jharkhand Students’ Union. Shibu Soren losesShibu Soren, a seven-time MP and a cult figure in Jharkhand politics, could not overcome the BJP juggernaut in Dumka, a bastion of the JMM. He lost by over 40,000 votes.Barring the Lohardaga and Khunti constituencies, where there was a semblance of opposition challenge, the NDA candidates had either inflicted crushing defeats on the grand alliance candidates or taken a comfortable lead. In Hazaribagh, Dhanbad, Palamu and Kodarma constituencies, the margin of lead was in excess of four lakh votes.Jayant Sinha, Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation, comfortably defeated Congress candidate Gopal Prasad Sahu by 4.79 lakh votes.Following the unprecedented victory, Chief Minister Raghubar Das reached the party office and expressed his gratitude to the people of Jharkhand. read more
MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Fajardo and he rest of San Miguel badly wanted to take the victory for coach Leo Austria and his wife Nanette, who just underwent kidney transplant earlier in the day.READ: Austria turns emotional after SMB win as wife undergoes kidney transplantFEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“It wasn’t easy for him [coach Leo],” remarked the Cebuano giant in Filipino..@TheSMBeermen’s June Mar Fajardo shares how important the qf win vs TNT was, not just for the team’s 4-peat chances, but also for coach @austrialeo. #PBA2018 pic.twitter.com/I77UcXzOAb “We really needed to win because we can’t afford to give them the momentum,” said Fajardo. “We just focused and the credit should go to my teammates because we all stepped up.”With San Miguel one step closer in its quest for a four-peat in the all-Filipino conference, Fajardo said the Beermen should take advantage of their break as they await their opponent, either Ginebra or Rain or Shine, in the semis.“We need to rest and be ready for the semis because nothing’s going to be easy. We need to practice well no matter who our opponent is,” he said. Typhoon ‘Tisoy’ threatens Games — Randolph B. Leongson (@RLeongsonINQ) March 6, 2018Fajardo finished with a game-high 35 points on a 15-of-19 shooting clip, to go with 11 rebounds and two blocks as he guided his side back to the semifinals to make the day a little more sweeter for the Beermen.The win, coupled with the operation’s success, gave them — especially Austria — all the more reason to celebrate.READ: Fajardo wreaks havoc as San Miguel ousts TNT, advances to semisADVERTISEMENT Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Google honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosa Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City San Miguel Beermen. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAggressive from the get-go, June Mar Fajardo seemed like a man on a mission on Tuesday in San Miguel’s quarterfinal tussle against TNT in the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup.The four-time PBA Most Valuable Player played with a purpose and set the tone for the Beermen with his unstoppable game in the paint which paved the way for the 106-93 drubbing of the KaTropa.ADVERTISEMENT Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES LOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexico Magnolia fights back from 20 down, frustrates GlobalPort to gain semis seat Read Next Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH View comments read more
India’s Somdev Devvarman on Tuesday won the men’s singles tennis gold medal at the Asian Games in Guangzhou.Somdev Devvarman of India, right, wipes his eyes after winning the men’s singles tennis final against Denis Istomin, of Uzbekistan, during the medal ceremony at the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China. AP PhotoSomdev dominated his higher ranked opponent from the start, storming to a 4-0 lead in the first set. Istomin managed to win just one game in that set. In the second set, Istomin put up a better fight as the pair exchanged breaks. But he wasn’t good enough to keep Somdev away from his second gold in the Guangzhou Games.Somdev’s feat has given India’s its seventh gold at Guangzhou.Somdev and Sanam Singh had on Monday won the men’s doubles gold. They beat the Chinese pair of Zhe Li and Mao Xin Gong 6-3, 6-7, 10-8.Somdev – the highest ranked Indian in the international tennis circuit – had earlier won the men’s singles gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi. read more
The Russell Westbrook Why Not? Foundation continued its support of youth literacy with the unveiling of the 7th Russell’s Reading Room this week at Edwards Elementary School in Oklahoma City. After the successful launch of three reading rooms in Oklahoma City and an additional three reading rooms in Los Angeles last year, NBA Star and Philanthropist Russell Westbrook is kicking off 2016 by continuing to inspire children to read.Russell wants every child to have books at homeCredit/Copyright: Layne Murdoch / Getty ImagesIn addition to cutting the ribbon on the 7th Russell’s Reading Room, the Why Not? Foundation and Scholastic hosted a book fair at Edwards Elementary School. Russell Westbrook presented Principal Patrice Allen with a check covering the costs for every student to take a book home from the fair.Russell Westbrook covered the cost of the books for the childrenCredit/Copyright: Layne Murdoch / Getty ImagesIn an effort to expand its literary initiative, the Russell Westbrook Why Not? Foundation, in partnership with Scholastic, will now sponsor school-wide book fairs at every school that receives a reading room and make sure every child goes home with a book. Russell’s Reading Rooms encourage education and reading in a safe learning environment, and by bringing book fairs to schools the Why Not? Foundation is helping children build their own personal libraries and develop a lifelong love for independent reading.Russell shares a book with the childrenCredit/Copyright: Layne Murdoch / Getty Images“I am excited to not only open another Russell’s Reading Room but to start having book fairs at the schools,” said Westbrook. “I think it is important that these kids are not only encouraged to read at school but at home as well and now they can all go home with a new book.”Russell’s Reading RoomCredit/Copyright: Layne Murdoch / Getty ImagesWestbrook has always stressed the importance of education and creating a safe learning environment, and through the continuation of the Russell’s Reading Room initiative he remains committed to providing a nurturing space for children to develop their reading skills at school and at home. read more
The NFL owners on Tuesday approved a drastic change to the NFL’s regular-season overtime format: cutting its maximum length from 15 minutes to 10.With games played as frequently as four days a week, the NFL says it’s trying to avoid the dangerous combination of long games and short recovery periods. The move may also be a reaction to last season, when six games went more than 12 minutes into overtime. Those included the Week 7 “Sunday Night Football” stinker, during which two teams spent five full periods slogging toward a 6-6 tie.But like the 2012 overtime modification, in which the sudden death format was changed so that a team couldn’t win the game with a first-possession field goal, Tuesday’s rule could be at the expense of overtime’s main purpose: deciding a winner. Since 2012, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, 83 regular-season games have gone into overtime, with five resulting in ties. Of those 83, 21 games lasted more than 10 minutes, with 16 tied at the 10-minute mark. Under the new rules, those 16 games would have all resulted in a draw. (With the change, two of the actual ties would have ended up with a winner, and three would have remained ties.)In addition to potentially tripling the rate of ties, the 10-minute overtime wouldn’t necessarily save that much time either. The 83 overtimes since 2012 would have been 49 game-seconds shorter on average. Old rule (2012-16)15:007:286.0% OT RULESTIME ON CLOCKFIRST POSSESSION FG WINS?AVG OT LENGTHTIE RATE The amount of time left on the clock affects play-calling and decision-making. Some analysts, like the MMQB’s Peter King, argued that if overtime were cut to 10 minutes, coaches would call games “faster,” pushing to get a win while the clock winds down. Maybe — but since 2012, 70 of 83 overtime games had at least two possessions, and the average elapsed time at the end of the second possession was 5:57. That means the average third possession would start just 4:03 away from a split decision. Will the NFL’s generally risk adverse coaches really jeopardize losing a bird (or, in this case, half a bird) in hand by diving into the bush to chase a full victory?The new system already has one detractor: Saints quarterback Drew Brees. He won the 2009 NFC championship game by completing just two short overtime passes to set up the field goal that gave New Orleans a sudden-death win — and a trip to Super Bowl XLIV.“I would disagree with [the rule change] because more games are going to end in ties now,” Brees told “The Dan Patrick Show.” He added that he wouldn’t be opposed to the NFL’s adopting rules that were similar to the “exciting” college format. In NCAA D-I football, each team’s offense lines up on the other team’s 25-yard line and takes turns trying to outscore each other, possession for possession. Although this scales back special teams and puts the bulk of emphasis on red-zone play, the baseball-like system of alternating possessions feels fairer to some fans.The NFL game may be best served by rolling back the 2012 modification in which the league changed regular-season overtime from sudden death to occasionally prolonged death. That change targeted the perception that games were too often being decided by coin flips: All the receiving team in OT had to do was make a few first downs and kick a field goal, as Brees’s Saints did in 2009.Under the 2012 rules,1This change was made for playoff games earlier, in 2010. teams were given a chance to respond if they held the receiving team to a field goal on its first possession. Given the chance, though, few teams have responded to period-opening field goals with a score of their own. In five seasons, according to Pro-Football-Reference, there have been only seven occasions when a team kicked a field-goal on its opening drive that was directly answered by their opponent scoring.As the table shows, the old sudden death rules, in which a tie occurred only if no one scored during the 15-minute overtime period, would have reduced average overtime duration nearly as much as the 10-minute cap, but with far fewer ties.Of course, if player safety is truly its highest priority, the NFL would do away with regular-season overtime altogether. Assuming that King is right about how coaches will react to a shorter overtime, removing it would force them to be more aggressive in regulation. If he’s wrong, at least we wouldn’t have to sit through 10 minutes of timid, tired football to get the same unsatisfying result.CORRECTION (May 24, 10 a.m.): An earlier version of the table in this article incorrectly said the NFL’s sudden-death overtime period from 1974 to 2011 was 10 minutes long. It was a 15-minute overtime. How NFL overtime games since 2012 would have played out under different OT rules RESULTS Sudden death (1974-2011)15:00✓6:472.4 New rule (2017- )10:006:3919.3 New rule results are based on the score 10 minutes into overtime.Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com read more