The police in western Assam’s Dhubri town have detained two special verification officers assigned the job of updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) for demanding ‘service charge’ from people summoned to submit documents establishing their citizenship.The detention on Sunday evening follows reports of people offering bribes, submitting forged documents or borrowing legacy data of genuine citizens to be included in the second NRC draft that the Supreme Court wants updated by May.First draftThe first draft, recognising 1.9 crore of the 3.29 applicants who can prove they have been living in Assam before March 24, 1971, was published at the stroke of midnight on December 31.“Special verification officer Fardous Zaman, sectional assistant in PWD Roads, and his deputy Swapan Dutta, a gram panchayat secretary, were detained after a complaint that they had demanded ₹300 to get the documentation of a couple from Tamarhat done on April 19,” said Longnit Terang, Dhubri Superintendent of Police.The duo had allegedly demanded ₹100 from the couple but later increased it to ₹300. The resultant delay forced the couple to stay at the house of a relative who works at the Dhubri Deputy Commissioner’s office. His complaint to the district’s administrative head led to Zaman and Dutta’s detention.“Though the duo are accused of seeking gratification money in NSK2 (NRC Seva Kendra number 2, at the office of inspector of schools, Dhubri), the case is not of manipulation of documents,” Mr. Terang said.Officials handling the NRC exercise did not rule out the possibility of similar cases across the 1,093 verification centres in Assam.Last week, the police in Darrang district’s Sipajhar arrested two people of suspected nationality – San Khan and Nayan Khan – for offering to bribe ₹20,000 to the NRC officials for including their names in the second draft.Officials said at least half a dozen such cases have been reported from central Assam’s Nagaon and Morigaon districts with some offering up to ₹2 lakh to get their names included in the NRC.By the first week of April, the NRC authorities identified more than 4,000 people who submitted forged papers despite having been declared foreigners by 100 Foreigners’ Tribunals across the State. Apart from government employees, the probe revealed several village heads were issuing fake domicile certificates.One such village head, Moijan Ali of Soulmari village in Biswanath district, had been charging ₹500 for each fake document.The NRC authorities received a setback earlier this month when Ali Ahmed, who was declared a foreigner in 2011, filed a review petition in the Gauhati High Court saying he cannot be an illegal immigrant as his name figured in the first draft of the updated NRC. The NRC authorities blamed it on faulty data collection by the State’s border police.Borrowed legacy dataOfficials said there have been several cases of people using legacy data of others to establish their family trees. In Nagaon district, for instance, a person named Fakaruddin, son of Umed Ali, tried to pass off as Suresh Das by using one Robi Das’s legacy data. Verification officials caught Fakaruddin’s bluff when Robi Das – both were called to the NSK concerned – could not recognise him.In another case reported from Barpeta district, one Abdul Salam was caught trying to pass his second wife Kadbanu as his first wife Kanchan Nessa, who died a few years ago. The second wife could not submit papers to establish her citizenship, officials said.Meanwhile, 85 companies of Central armed forces have been deployed in Assam apprehending trouble in certain parts during the process. More than half of these companies were provided before the publication of the first draft on December 31.
China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend “All he (Pacquiao) needs to do now is eat and rest,” said assistant trainer Buboy Fernandez in Filipino. “At this point nothing could be done that would matter in the ring.”Chief trainer Freddie Roach and strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune want Pacquiao to bulk up to 146.5 pounds for the weigh-in by eating in intervals.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsPacquiao’s Australian challenger, though, faces the grim prospect of not making weight.According to local reports, Horn woke up at a heavy 69.9 kilos (153.8 lb) on Friday, still 6.8 lb away from the 147-lb limit. Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend What ‘missteps’? The Inquirer had earlier reported that Horn weighed 70.3 kg (154.7 lb) Thursday, which means that the 29-year-old was only able to shed less than a pound overnight.It’s for this reason that Horn is now being forced to starve himself. He has only taken sips of water since Thursday and will only eat salad Friday night.To compound matters, Horn will have to spend some more rounds at the gym in sweat suits in a frantic effort to meet the welterweight cutoff.While acknowledging Horn’s built-in edge in height (three inches) and walking weight (around eight lb), Pacquiao said he isn’t worried about Horn’s power.Horn has been rehearsing the overhead right counter Juan Manuel Marquez unleashed to knock a charging Pacquiao out cold in the sixth round in 2012.ADVERTISEMENT Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Glenn Rushton, Horn’s millionaire trainer, believes the impact of that brutal knockout remains in Pacquiao’s memory, thus his seeming reluctance to pour it all even when an opponent is in serious trouble.That’s why, apart from an elaborate 10-point plan specifically drafted for Pacquiao, they’ve made the right counter one of the focal points of Horn’s offensive arsenal for the fight.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony PLAY LIST 00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Meralco eyes lead Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Famed boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines speaks to the media during a press conference with Jeff Horn of Australia in Brisbane, Wednesday, June 28, 2017. Pacquiao, is putting his WBO belt on the line Sunday, July 2, against the 29-year-old Horn. (AP Photo/John Pye)BRISBANE—No one in Team Pacquiao is buying fully into Jeff Horn’s weight problems. But even with the possibility that the weight issue is a ploy to lull Manny Pacquiao into complacency, there’s no need for the eight-division champion to push himself any harder.While Horn reportedly still has some scrambling to do before Saturday’s official weigh-in for their “Battle of Brisbane” at Suncorp Stadium Sunday, Pacquiao can now rest and take things easy.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES read more
German fans react after their team’s 1-0 win over Argentina in the final A quarter of a million German football fans reacted with unbridled joy, mixed with shock, on Sunday when Mario Goetze struck late in extra-time for Germany to win the World Cup with a 1-0 victory over Argentina.The supporters, packed into the “fan mile” in front of the German capital’s famous Brandenburg Gate, screamed as one when Goetze took the ball on his chest and let fly inside the far post from a narrow angle.Fans cheered, clapped and shouted, with groups of fans hugging and jumping into the air together, making so much noise the commentary on the large screens they had come to watch could no longer be heard. Flares illuminated the stage and sent plumes of smoke into the sky.”We’re going to be world champions! We’re going to be world champions!” yelled the compere of the public viewing event, despite seven minutes of extra-time remaining in Brazil.The party was already underway in Berlin, though there were a couple of nervous moments before the revelers could really let themselves go.Cars were on the streets with drivers beeping their horns, whooping and yelling, before captain Philip Lahm had even lifted the trophy at Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana Stadium.Once he did, a massive fireworks display took place around the Brandenburg Gate, where fans had begun gathering for the game six hours before kick-off.Not even the rain or ominous thunder rumbling overhead could put them off. Police closed a number of entrances to the “fan mile” at least four hours before kickoff due to the sheer volume of fans attending. With three hours to go, police said it was full.advertisementOther public viewing venues also filled up, despite forecasts of heavy rain across the country. Showers and summer storms were due to move in from the southwest.Some 50,000 fans attended the Fan-Arena at St. Pauli’s stadium in Hamburg, while supporters brought their sofas to watch the World Cup games at Union Berlin’s Alte Foersterei stadium.Standing on thousands of discarded plastic beer cups, the fans at the Brandenburg Gate cheered loudly before kickoff came when the clouds gave way and the sun briefly broke through.The long wait took its toll on some overindulgent supporters, however, keeping the Red Cross busy throughout the match.There was a solitary scream, followed by stunned silence, when Gonzalo Higuain thought he’d scored for Argentina in the first half, only for wild cheering to erupt when the effort was disallowed for offside.The fans applauded record goalscorer Miroslav Klose when he went off after possibly his last game, but otherwise there few opportunities for fans to let loose until Goetze finally broke the deadlock.”They made it exciting,” Leon Tober of Fuerstenwalde, east of Berlin, told The Associated Press. “It was a long wait, especially after twice coming third (in previous World Cups). It’s great for the young generation. They’re a super troupe of players. They can go on now and win even more.”It was Germany’s fourth World Cup and its first as a reunified country.West Germany’s triumph in 1990 came several months after the fall of the Berlin Wall, which passed in front of the Brandenburg Gate, which will host more celebrations Tuesday when coach Joachim Loew’s team is scheduled to display the World Cup trophy to fans.”Better Germany than Argentina,” said Tibo Medici from Switzerland. Both his and his friend Nicolo Butzze, who said they were in Berlin to cheer on the side “because Brazil is too expensive,” had German fathers.Not everyone had been supporting Germany. A Berlin tax-driver with an Argentina flag flying from his window riled fans on Kastanienallee Street in Prenzlauer Berg by beeping at them as he passed.”I’ve been cursed at and spat upon,” said Cihan Goz, laughing as he relayed the story. He said he was a fan of Maradona, revered among Argentines as the world’s best ever player. Coz was still picking up passengers despite the flag.German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who watched the game in Berlin with Argentina’s ambassador in Germany, said, “We dreamed of becoming world champions and that dream came true.” read more