He said that in the short term it was people who would be the most affected.“Indonesian migrant workers and professionals with jobs, assets and interests in Australia may live in limbo as they are locked in or out of Australia for an indefinite period of time,” he told The Jakarta Post on Friday.The Foreign Ministry’s director for East Asia and Pacific affairs, Santo Darmosumarto, said that as of late 2019 there were approximately 77,500 Indonesians living and working in Australia.“It is indeed a concern for us, but we believe that what Australia decides is done with full responsibility. In this regard, various policies that will be taken by the government of Australia will always be communicated to us beforehand,” he told reporters on Thursday.Some 681 people in Australia have tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, with five deaths, according to data compiled by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering. Meanwhile, the latest data from the Health Ministry recorded 369 confirmed cases in Indonesia, with 32 deaths as of Friday afternoon.Santo said that the Indonesian missions in Australia had swapped notes with their counterparts about policy directives, including the various Australian policies that would affect them.“Hopefully our citizens in Australia are aware about the Australian government’s effort to ‘flatten the curve’ in managing the spread of COVID-19,” he said.Ministry spokesperson Teuku Faizasyah said there was always going to be the potential that Indonesian citizens overseas would experience a lockdown, but he underlined the fact that travelers had a window of opportunity between Tuesday and Friday to sort out their return.De Lieto said that problems could arise especially for Indonesians holding temporary visas because the Australian government had yet to explain what would happen to those whose visas expire in the meantime and prevent them from leaving the country or returning to Indonesia.“Also, temporary migrants have only very limited access to social security benefits and so they are most vulnerable in this downturn. But the same applies to migrants from everywhere, irrespective of their origin country,” he said.The Melbourne-based researcher said that most people had already begun to feel the impact of the stock market crash caused by the coronavirus outbreak.“If the crisis lasts for longer and leads to shutting down borders for more than a few months, the damage and disruption to global supply chains and financial markets that underpin them will become structural and will likely be irreversible in the form that we know today,” he said.Topics : Indonesia’s warming relations with Australia faced new challenges this week as the COVID-19 outbreak forced Jakarta to further restrict entry and Canberra to close down its borders, putting many lucrative partnership projects on hold while the two governments scramble to ensure the safety of their citizens.Indonesia announced on Tuesday a temporary suspension of its visa-exemption facilities for all foreign visitors including Australians, which came into effect on Friday. From that point onward, foreigners who want to travel to Indonesia must provide vetted health documents when applying from an overseas mission.Various officials have insisted that the policies introduced in response to the coronavirus outbreak will be temporary. Meanwhile, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Thursday an unprecedented ban on entry for non-residents coming to Australia, effective from 9 p.m. on Friday, in a move aimed at reducing the spread of COVID-19 infections.Indonesia and Australia have agreed on various new projects through the recently ratified Indonesia-Australia Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (IA-CEPA) and the accompanying 2020-2024 plan of action that will serve as a guideline for the economic deal.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo visited Canberra in early January on his last trip abroad before the coronavirus outbreak began to spread in the region.International trade law lecturer at Monash Business School, Giovanni De Lieto, said that just like all other bilateral relationships, Australia’s travel ban would put on hold any medium- to long-term economic partnership projects.
July 17, 2020 Economy, National Issues, Press Release Governor Tom Wolf today urged Congress to quickly provide financial relief to the nation’s restaurants by passing the Real Economic Support That Acknowledges Unique Restaurant Assistance Needed to Survive (RESTAURANTS) Act. The bipartisan bill in Congress provides $120 billion to help independent restaurants with the economic challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic.“Our nation’s independent local restaurants have been especially harmed by this pandemic and they need federal help,” said Gov. Wolf. “These small businesses are an important part of every community. They serve as places that help to unite us and are an important economic driver in local communities that create thousands of jobs that working families rely on. The RESTAURANTS Act is a critical step to help many of these small businesses and save jobs from the diner to the farm.”The federal bill provides grants to cover the difference between revenues from 2019 and projected revenues through 2020, with a maximum grant of $10 million. The grants would be available to food service or drinking establishments that are not publicly traded or part of a chain with 20 or more locations doing business under the same name. The funds can be used for payroll, benefits, mortgage, rent, protective equipment, food or other cost.The legislation was introduced by a bipartisan coalition that includes Pennsylvania Reps. Dwight Evans, Susan Wild and Brian Fitzpatrick.The governor urged Pennsylvania’s congressional delegation to support the bill.A summary of the legislation can be found here.Ver esta página en español. SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Gov. Wolf: Congress Must Take Action to Help Restaurants read more
RelatedPosts EPL: Son fires four past Southampton Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Tottenham sign £25m Sergio Reguilon Arsenal are reportedly looking to hire Jose Mourinho if they decide to call time on Unai Emery’s tenure at the Emirates.Emery is currently under intense pressure in north London, which has increased after Arsenal threw away a two-goal lead at home to Crystal Palace on Sunday.The Gunners have won just two of their last five Premier League games, and are already losing ground in the race for the top four.Instead of catching up with fourth-place Chelsea, who are four points ahead of them, they are more concerned with the drop behind them, with three points separating themselves from 11th-placed arch rivals Tottenham.And, with Emery’s position believed to be under serious threat, Mourinho is to be the ideal candidate, according to The Sun.The Portuguese boss has been without a club since last December, when he was sacked by Manchester United.The “Chosen One” had been tipped to return to Real Madrid, with Zinedine Zidane under pressure at the Bernabeu.Real have dropped down to sixth in La Liga, and have failed to get the best out of their £275 million summer acquisitions.However, after last week’s Champions League win over Galatasaray, it is believed Zidane’s position is not under immediate threat.This leaves Arsenal as one of the most viable options for Mourinho.According to Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, the 56-year-old has already decided on his next role.Earlier this month, he confirmed he attempted to hire Mourinho, but was rejected.Aulas said: “We had some fairly flattering exchanges over SMS. It was nice for everyone.“He did not accept our proposal to meet because he has already chosen another club.” Tags: Arsenal. Unai EmeryJose MourinhoReal MadridZinedine Zidane read more