Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar met BJP president Amit Shah in New Delhi on Wednesday, and said his government had taken adequate action in the aftermath of the violence that broke out after Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was convicted of rape.Speaking to presspersons, he denied that he was to be sacked after 32 people were killed in police firing.The Opposition Congress has been demanding the Chief Minister’s resignation.“Those demanding my resignation may keep demanding it; we have done our work well,” Mr. Khattar said after meeting Mr. Shah. Party supportIt seemed clear that Mr. Khattar came out of the meeting assured of the BJP’s support to him in the face of the demand for his resignation. “We have put systems in place so that these kind of situations can be dealt with,” he told presspersons. Asked if he would meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi as well, he said he had submitted his report to Mr. Shah. “We [the BJP] have a system where we brief the national president. He can share it with whoever he feels he should share,” he said. Sources said the report given to Mr. Shah detailed the administrative action taken by the State government in the aftermath of the verdict. He denied that any BJP MLA or Minister had accompanied the Dera chief to court or to jail after his conviction. He did not deny, however, that the party had sought Mr. Singh’s support in the previous Assembly elections in Haryana following which he was appointment Chief Minister. “We appeal to all voters during the elections for their support, but nowhere is it implied that anyone is above the law. No one is above the law,” he said.Mr. Khattar said his government’s “target” was to make sure that the Dera chief appeared before the special CBI court for his sentencing. “We were clear in our target that we wanted him to appear before the court …we didn’t want him to find any excuse not to appear,” he said. No deal with DeraHe denied there was any “deal” between the State government and the Dera chief, a fact, he said, made clear by the fact that the government created a situation where the Dera chief presented himself before the judge. “None of my MLAs were with the Baba. Those who met him earlier may have done so, but not on the day that he appeared before the court. No VIP treatment was given to him; he was moved to the rest house till such time as arrangements in the jail were being made, after which he was shifted to the jail,” Mr. Khattar said. Mr. Khattar seems to have survived a second chance after he was called to account in his handling of the violence related to the Jat agitation in February 2016.
Spouses and dependents of Caribbean Community (CARICOM) nationals, who relocate to other Member States, will now be entitled to access benefits such as health and education services, which were not previously afforded to them. Story Highlights The categories of persons are: graduates of all recognised universities, artistes, musicians, sportspersons, media workers, nurses, teachers, artisans with Caribbean vocational qualifications (such as those issued by HEART Trust/NTA), and holders of associate degrees or comparable qualifications. The Conference of Heads of Government, which consists of the Heads of Government of the Member States, is the supreme organ of the Caribbean Community and determines and provides its policy direction. Spouses and dependents of Caribbean Community (CARICOM) nationals, who relocate to other Member States, will now be entitled to access benefits such as health and education services, which were not previously afforded to them.This applies to individuals and their families, who move across the region to work, provide services and establish companies within the framework of the free movement regime under the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME).Jamaica is among six CARICOM countries that have agreed to facilitate the benefits with the signing of the Protocol on Contingent Rights on Friday (July 6). The others are Barbados, Haiti, Suriname, St. Lucia and Grenada.The signing took place on the final day of the 39th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of CARICOM, which was held at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in St. James from July 4 to 6.Addressing a press conference after the signing, Prime Minister and CARICOM Chairman, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, said the move is a crucial step in making CARICOM more functional and relevant to the people of the region.“This is a matter that has been long outstanding and is a major step that should encourage greater use of the free movement regime as it ensures a greater level of comfort and peace of mind for families,” he said.The Prime Minister noted that coming out of the meeting, CARICOM Heads have recommitted to the free movement of skilled persons.He said it was agreed that by December 31, 2018, all States will put in place the necessary legislative framework to facilitate all 10 approved categories of skills under the free movement regime.The categories of persons are: graduates of all recognised universities, artistes, musicians, sportspersons, media workers, nurses, teachers, artisans with Caribbean vocational qualifications (such as those issued by HEART Trust/NTA), and holders of associate degrees or comparable qualifications.Barbadian Prime Minister, Hon. Mia Mottley, welcomed the initiative, describing it as a fundamental development since the introduction of the CSME.“For this protocol to have been signed today is the most significant event in the history of Caribbean affairs since the single market was signed here in Jamaica and came into effect here in Jamaica 2006,” she said.The CSME is an integrated development strategy, which is intended to benefit the people of the region by providing more and better opportunities to produce and sell goods and services and to attract investment.It is built on five core regimes: free movement of capital, free movement of goods, free movement of skills, the provision of services, and the right of establishment. In addition, the CSME facilitates hassle-free travel for all CARICOM nationals.The meeting of CARICOM heads was chaired by Prime Minister Holness. Among the key agenda items were crime and violence, disaster management and climate change, and the CSME.The Conference of Heads of Government, which consists of the Heads of Government of the Member States, is the supreme organ of the Caribbean Community and determines and provides its policy direction. read more
Ekaterinburg (Russia): Asian champion Amit Panghal (52kg) was seeded second and got a bye into the pre-quarterfinals along with three others as Indian boxers aimed for a medal haul of more than a bronze in the men’s World Boxing Championships, starting here on Monday. Amit was joined in the last-16 by Asian silver-winning duo of Kavinder Singh Bisht (57kg and seeded 5th) and Ashish Kumar (75kg and seeded 7th) alongside two-time India Open medallist Sanjeet (91kg) after draws were unveiled on Sunday here. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhOf these, Ashish (seeded 7th) and Sanjeet are making their debut at the big event, while Panghal and Bisht had finished quarterfinalists in the 2017 Hamburg edition. “We have got a decent draw and it is upto us to make it a good draw,” Indian Boxing’s High-Performance Director Santiago Nieva told PTI after the draw ceremony. India will start their campaign on Tuesday with Brijesh Yadav (81kg) taking on Poland’s Maleusz Goinski in his opening round bout. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterThe coveted Olympic berths are no longer at stake, but the Indians will not be short of motivation when they step inside the ring to better a record which states four medals from 20 editions. Vijender Singh (2009), Vikas Krishan (2011), Shiva Thapa (2015) and Gaurav Bidhuri (2017) make the exclusive club which has experienced what it feels like to be on the podium at amateur boxing’s marquee event. All these men ended with bronze medals. “It is going to be tough. The aim is to improve on what we have done in the past. That’s what we work for,” Nieva said. It was meant to be an Olympic qualifier and features the revised eight weight categories (52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 69kg, 74kg, 81kg, 91kg, +91kg) earmarked for Tokyo 2020, instead of the traditional 10 divisions. However, the event was stripped of Olympic qualifier status after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) lost patience with the long-standing administrative mess in the International Boxing Association (AIBA) and took control of the entire process, which will now start next year. With that status gone, the tournament has lost a bit of sheen. Nevertheless, it is still likely to feature around 450 boxers from 87 countries in 400 fights spread across 12 days. India’s hopes will be majorly pinned on pint-sized dynamo Panghal. The reticent 23-year-old from Haryana has been on a roll for more than a year. Besides being Asian champion, he is also an Asian Games gold-medallist. The Army-man came quite close to a world medal in his 2017 debut when he exhausted the then defending champion Hasanboy Dusmatov in the quarterfinals but went down 2-3 in the 49kg category. Panghal had his revenge in the Asian Games final where he outpunched Dusmatov for the gold and showed himself to be a serious contender for glory at the Worlds. Then there is Bisht, an Air Force man, whose bloodied face after a brutal quarterfinal in 2017 is a disturbing but unforgettable image. Like Panghal, Bisht too lost 2-3 in a fight that could have given him a sensational medal. He has improved considerably since then. At the Asian Championships this year, he accounted for the reigning world champion Kairat Yeraliyev during his silver medal-winning run. And, he now has some unfinished business to take care of in the World Championship. Veteran Satish Kumar (+91kg) is the only other Indian, apart from these two, who has the experience of competing at the Worlds. The former Asian Games bronze-medallist will try to ensure that ill-health does not ruin his campaign the way it did in 2017. He has American Richard Torrez to contend with in the first round. The rest of the Indian line-up holds promise too. There is Manish Kaushik (63kg), the silver medallist from last year’s Commonwealth Games. The Army-man has been in and out of the team, locked in a tough battle for the spot with Shiva Thapa. A medal here would help him cement the place. He will start against Kyrgyzstan’s Argen Kadyrbek on September 12. Sanjeet, also a Services boxer, is another dark horse. His fearless approach makes him an interesting boxer to watch out for and he could well outsmart a few here. His first opponent is Scotland’s Scott Forest. Ashish, who won a gold at Thailand Open this year, is also slowly rising into prominence in a category which has been owned by Vijender and Vikas in the past. The Team: Amit Panghal (52kg), Kavinder Bisht (57kg), Manish Kaushik (63kg), Duryodhan Singh Negi (69kg), Ashish Kumar (75kg), Brijesh Yadav (81kg), Sanjeet (91kg) and Satish Kumar (+91kg). read more
The NFL owners on Tuesday approved a drastic change to the NFL’s regular-season overtime format: cutting its maximum length from 15 minutes to 10.With games played as frequently as four days a week, the NFL says it’s trying to avoid the dangerous combination of long games and short recovery periods. The move may also be a reaction to last season, when six games went more than 12 minutes into overtime. Those included the Week 7 “Sunday Night Football” stinker, during which two teams spent five full periods slogging toward a 6-6 tie.But like the 2012 overtime modification, in which the sudden death format was changed so that a team couldn’t win the game with a first-possession field goal, Tuesday’s rule could be at the expense of overtime’s main purpose: deciding a winner. Since 2012, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, 83 regular-season games have gone into overtime, with five resulting in ties. Of those 83, 21 games lasted more than 10 minutes, with 16 tied at the 10-minute mark. Under the new rules, those 16 games would have all resulted in a draw. (With the change, two of the actual ties would have ended up with a winner, and three would have remained ties.)In addition to potentially tripling the rate of ties, the 10-minute overtime wouldn’t necessarily save that much time either. The 83 overtimes since 2012 would have been 49 game-seconds shorter on average. Old rule (2012-16)15:007:286.0% OT RULESTIME ON CLOCKFIRST POSSESSION FG WINS?AVG OT LENGTHTIE RATE The amount of time left on the clock affects play-calling and decision-making. Some analysts, like the MMQB’s Peter King, argued that if overtime were cut to 10 minutes, coaches would call games “faster,” pushing to get a win while the clock winds down. Maybe — but since 2012, 70 of 83 overtime games had at least two possessions, and the average elapsed time at the end of the second possession was 5:57. That means the average third possession would start just 4:03 away from a split decision. Will the NFL’s generally risk adverse coaches really jeopardize losing a bird (or, in this case, half a bird) in hand by diving into the bush to chase a full victory?The new system already has one detractor: Saints quarterback Drew Brees. He won the 2009 NFC championship game by completing just two short overtime passes to set up the field goal that gave New Orleans a sudden-death win — and a trip to Super Bowl XLIV.“I would disagree with [the rule change] because more games are going to end in ties now,” Brees told “The Dan Patrick Show.” He added that he wouldn’t be opposed to the NFL’s adopting rules that were similar to the “exciting” college format. In NCAA D-I football, each team’s offense lines up on the other team’s 25-yard line and takes turns trying to outscore each other, possession for possession. Although this scales back special teams and puts the bulk of emphasis on red-zone play, the baseball-like system of alternating possessions feels fairer to some fans.The NFL game may be best served by rolling back the 2012 modification in which the league changed regular-season overtime from sudden death to occasionally prolonged death. That change targeted the perception that games were too often being decided by coin flips: All the receiving team in OT had to do was make a few first downs and kick a field goal, as Brees’s Saints did in 2009.Under the 2012 rules,1This change was made for playoff games earlier, in 2010. teams were given a chance to respond if they held the receiving team to a field goal on its first possession. Given the chance, though, few teams have responded to period-opening field goals with a score of their own. In five seasons, according to Pro-Football-Reference, there have been only seven occasions when a team kicked a field-goal on its opening drive that was directly answered by their opponent scoring.As the table shows, the old sudden death rules, in which a tie occurred only if no one scored during the 15-minute overtime period, would have reduced average overtime duration nearly as much as the 10-minute cap, but with far fewer ties.Of course, if player safety is truly its highest priority, the NFL would do away with regular-season overtime altogether. Assuming that King is right about how coaches will react to a shorter overtime, removing it would force them to be more aggressive in regulation. If he’s wrong, at least we wouldn’t have to sit through 10 minutes of timid, tired football to get the same unsatisfying result.CORRECTION (May 24, 10 a.m.): An earlier version of the table in this article incorrectly said the NFL’s sudden-death overtime period from 1974 to 2011 was 10 minutes long. It was a 15-minute overtime. How NFL overtime games since 2012 would have played out under different OT rules RESULTS Sudden death (1974-2011)15:00✓6:472.4 New rule (2017- )10:006:3919.3 New rule results are based on the score 10 minutes into overtime.Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com read more
Jenna Dewan is getting serious with her boyfriend Steve KazeeGetty ImagesJenna Dewan is reportedly getting serious about her relationship with boyfriend, Steve Kazee. The Witches of East End star apparently has moved on completely from former husband, Channing Tatum and is ready to start a new life.According to a report in Life & Style magazine, Jenna is thinking of getting married again and having more children. She already has a daughter Everly, whom she shares with the Magic Mike star. A source said: “Things are going so well that they’re already living together. He’s great with Everly and that’s encouraging to Jenna, who’d like a couple more kids when the time’s right.””She’s looking forward to the future and getting married again. Steve’s got all the qualities she needs in a partner and he’s super sensitive and sweet,” the insider added.Channing and Jenna tied the knot on July 11, 2009, after meeting each other for the first time on the set of their movie, Step Up in 2005. They announced their split on 2 April 2018, through a joint statement they shared on Instagram.The note read: “We have lovingly chosen to separate as a couple. We fell deeply in love so many years ago and have had a magical journey together. Absolutely nothing has changed about how much we love one another, but love is a beautiful adventure that is taking us on different paths for now,” they said. “We won’t be commenting beyond this, and we thank you all in advance for respecting our family’s privacy.” Meanwhile, Jenna had opened up about her life after separating from Channing. She told Women’s Health magazine: “I feel I’ve been on a wave of growth.””It’s always challenging to go through a big change and have the whole world have an opinion about it. . . It’s okay for a relationship to change into a new form that is actually better for both people involved, and I think that’s maybe what shocked everyone so much—that it can be a positive thing. That was ultimately what happened with us,” she added.”It’s been a journey, and it’s been a transformation of myself—my needs and wants as a woman,” she said. “I think everyone wants to hold on to what’s in front of them, but when you open your mind, saying, ‘I want what’s best for myself and my daughter,’ you have to be okay with however that looks.” read more